Contact: email@example.com, +38515535127
Academic and Scientific Degrees:
- 2018. Adjunct Professor (Department of Anthropology, University of Wyoming, USA)
- 2015. associate professor
- 2015. Adjunct Associate Professor (Department of Anthropology, University of Wyoming, USA)
- 2012. scientific advisor
- 2010. docent
- 2009. scientific associate
- 2009. PhD (prehistoric archaeology), Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb (dissertation: Neandertal lateral midface: a morphometric analysis, advisor dr. Fred H. Smith).
- 2003. M.A. (anthropology), Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, USA (thesis: A morphometric analysis of Neandertal zygomatic bones, advisor dr. Fred H. Smith)
- 2001. B.A. (archaeology), Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb (thesis: Blade technology at the site of Šandalja II/Tehnološka analiza sječiva na nalazištu Šandalja II, advisor dr. Ivor Karavanić)
- 2011. assistant director, Institute for anthropological research
- 2009. scientific associate, Institute for anthropological research (project MZOŠ 196-1962766-2740)
- 2003. assistant, Institute for anthropological research (project MZT 0196004, od 2007. project MZOŠ 196-1962766-2740)
Scientific and professional work:
- 2014-2017. Principal Investigator. Archaeological investigations into the Late Pleistocene and Early Holocene of the Lim Channel, Istria. Croatian Science Foundation. (2014. Excavation of Romualdova cave and Abri Kontija)
- 2010-2014. excavation leader of the Bukovac cave (Gorski kotar, Croatia)
- 2008. participant of the EVAN summer school on Multivariate techniques for growth and evolution of form (Department of Anthropology, University of Vienna)
Work on scientific analysis of the human osteological remains from the sites of Feldhofer (Neandertal) in Germany, Vindija in Croatia, Mladeč in Moravia, and numerous Croatian archaeological sites and collections, including Šandalja II, Josipovac-Gravinjak, Franjevac, Šandalja II, Potočani and various other sites and samples.
Presentations on scientific meetings: author or co-author of numerous presentations on scientific meetings in Croatia and abroad (USA, Austria, Germany, Egypt).
Participation in field work of numerous archaeological and paleoanthropological sites (Arago and Lazaret in France, Samostan Klarisa, Mačkovac, Aqua Iasae, Mujina Pećina, Zala, Vižula, Brijuni and Resnik in Croatia)
- co-author (with S. Mihelić and I. Karavanić ) of the exhibition entitled Put Neandertalca / The Neandertal Trail, Arheološki muzej u Zagrebu (2011), Archaeological Museum in Pula (2012)
- co-author (with I. Karavanić and J. Balen) of the exhibition entitled Odiseja Čovječanstva: evolucija čovjeka i materijalnih kultura starijeg kamenog doba, Arheološki muzej u Zagrebu (2005.), Muzej Brodskog Posavlja, Slavonski Brod (2007.), Gradski muzej Vukovar (2007.)
Work on the popularization of science: invited participant in several scientific programmes of the Croatian television (Trenutak spoznaje, Znanstvena petica, Među nama), participated in the 2-part series “Neandertal Trail” in the production of Croatian Television, participated in the scientific movie entitled “Neanderthal in us” in the production of History Media (Germany), programmes of the Croatian Radio, and several daily papers and journals. Author of several popular publications and texts on human evolution and prehistoric archaeology, and public and invited lectures with the aim of popularization of science.
Research interests: Hominin evolution, biological and cultural adaptations and geographic dispersal of human populations during the Pleistocene
Publications list – link
- Teaches course Evolucija čovjeka (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb)
- Participates in courses (as a lecturer, since 2004) Suvremene antropološke teorije (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb), Biološka antropologija (Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb)
- teaching assistant courses General Prehistoric Archaeology, Rise of the Civilization, Human Origins and Human Osteology (Northern Illinois University, USA, 2001. – 2003.)
Awards and research grants:
- 2014. Archaeological heritage program, site Bukovac. Ministry of Culture.
- 2014. Project. Archaeological investigations into the Late Pleistocene and Early Holocene of the Lim Channel, Istria. Croatian Science Foundation.
- 2010. annual award and medal “Dragutin Gorjanović Kramberger” of Croatian Anthropological Society
- 2010. annual award and medal “Josip Brunšmid” of Croatian Archaeological Society
Membership in professional organizations:
- 2009. Member of the Governing board of Institute for Anthropological Research in Zagreb
- Member of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists, European Anthropological Association, Croatian Archaeological Society, Croatian Anthropological Society (member of the supervisor committee)
- Member of the advisory board of the journal Annales D’universite “Valahia” Targoviste Section D’archeologie Et D’histoire
- Member of the advisory board of the journal “Histria archaeologica”