Vedrana Skaro, Ph.D.
- 2010: Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, doctoral study; field biology, branch molecular and cell biology; Doctoral dissertation: „Application of new mitochondrial DNA markers in forensic genetic analysis of skeletal remains of different age“; Academic degree: PhD, Biology
- 2000: Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, graduate study of molecular biology; Thesis: „Methods of DNA extraction from human bone samples of different age“; Academic degree: Masters Degree Equivalent Honours
- 08.06.2018. assistant professor (titular position) in the field of Natural Sciences, Biology, at the Department of Forensic Genetics, Biology and Chemistry at the University Department of Forensic Sciences of the University of Split
- 12.09.2016. Research associate in the field of Natural Sciences, Biology at the Department of Biology of the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Zagreb
- 21.07.2014. Postdoctoral researcher (titular position) in the scientific field of Biomedicine and Health, basic medical science, the scientific branch of genetics, genomics and proteomics of man at the Department of Mineral Metabolism, the Faculty of Medicine, University of Josip Juraj Strossmayer, Osijek
- 24.04.2009 instructor (titular position) in the field of Natural Sciences, Biology, branch of biochemistry and molecular biology at the Department of Biology of the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Zagreb
- 2019- Institute for Anthropological Research, Zagreb, Croatia
- 2015-2019: Genos DNA Laboratory Ltd., Zagreb, Croatia
- 2008-2015: Genos Ltd., Zagreb, Croatia
- 2007-2008: Institute for Anthropological Research, Zagreb, Croatia
- 2005-2007: „Rudjer Boskovic“ Institute, Division of Molecular Medicine Institute, Zagreb, Croatia
- 2003 – 2004: University of Connecticut Health Center, research scholar at Department of Medicine Division of Gastroenterology/Hepatology, Farmington, Connecticut, USA
- 2001 – 2003: Clinical Hospital Split, Department of Pathology, Cytology and Forensics, Split, Croatia
- 9/2020-2/2021 Business-technical cooperation in combating the COVID19 epidemic, microbiological laboratory of the Institute of Public Health Dr. Andrija Štampar – education and performance of tasks related to the processing of samples for testing for SARS-Cov-2 virus: sampling of nasopharyngeal swabs, sample accessioning, virus inactivation, RNA extraction, reverse transcription and amplification of RNA, analysis of results, creating reports, using the Open ERP system.
- 2020 training on high-throughput, fully automated real-time instrument for analysis of SNPs and InDel. OneOme, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- 2011: Training in design of Pyrosequencing methods for genotyping and for DNA methylation analysis, PCR optimization of the methods, and operating the Pyrosequencing instrument as well as data analysis and quality check procedures (Analyzed genes were selected from active clinical projects in cardiovascular risk factors, vitamin uptake receptors, and cancer genetics), Laboratory of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital (Universitetssjukhuset Örebro (USÖ)), Örebro, Sweden
- 2009, 2010: Training on the Linear Array mtDNA HV+ assay (visiting scientist), Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA
- 2009: Training in mitochondrial DNA analysis and typing, Jan Bashinski DNA laboratory California Department of Justice, California Criminalistic Institute, Bureau of Forensic Services, Richmond, California, USA
- 2007: Training on DNA analysis of archaeological bones, Institut za genetičko inženjerstvo i biotehnologiju (INGEB), Sarajevo, B&H
- 2008: Training on DNA analysis of archaeological bones, DNA laboratory, Medical School Josip Juraj Strossmayer, Osijek, Croatia
- 2004: Visiting Internship Program on Advances in Forensic Genetics Analysis and Procedures, Connecticut Forensic Science Laboratory, Meriden Connecticut, USA
- 2003-2004: visiting scientist on project on structure and function of hepatitis C virus and assays for hepatitis in chimeric rodent models; University of Connecticut Health Center, Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology/Hepatology, Farmington, Connecticut, USA
WORKSHOPS AND SEMINARS:
- 2019 International Society for Applied Biological Sciences (ISABS), St. Catherine Hospital and OneOme Seminar “Pharmacogenomics: Paving the Path to Personalised Medicine”
- 2019 International Society for Applied Biological Sciences (ISABS), St. Catherine Hospital and OneOme Seminar “Pharmacogenomics: Paving the Path to Personalised Medicine”
- 2017 Qiagen and INEL Medicinska tehnika, “Day of the Top Technology, Latest Solutions for the Next Generation Sequencing and leading bioinformatics tools”
- 2017 International Burch University, Sarajevo, Workshop of Balkan Forensic DNA Working Group, 14th-15th September 2017 (sponsored by Promega)
- 2016 Promega, Real-Time qPCR seminar “Amplify and quantify successfully – qPCR basics and best practices for effective planning, realization and data analysis”
- 2015 Illumina, Next Generation Seqencing in Daily Practice
- 2014 Bode Technology, International Agents Training in DNA collection and processing, LIMS and Qualtrax
- 2013 Illumina Next Generation Sequencing Seminar
- 2011 Qiagen, Pyrosequencing Technology – PyroMark Q24
- 2010 Promega, PowerPlexÒ ESX and ESI Systems
- 2008 Promega, DNA IQ/MaxwellÒ 16 and PlexorÒ HY Training
SCIENTIFIC PROJECTS PARTICIPATION
- 2020-2023 Individualized Approach in Predicting Diabetes Development
- 2020 Project of prospective research “Croatian Model of Molecular and Serological Diagnostics of Croatian Football Players in the Fight Against COVID19” (cooperation of Institute of Anthropology, Genos Ltd., Institute of Public Health Dr. Andrija Stampar, St. Catherine Special Hospital and International Society of Applied Biological Sciences)
- 2016-2020 EFRD project: “New Generation of High-Throughput Glycoanalytical Services”
- 2016-2017 Investigation of gene predispositions and development of the test for the prevention of sports injuries “GENPrevent”
- 2013-2018 Multidimensional omics approach to stratification of patients with low back pain (PAIN-OMICS)
- 2012-2015 IBD-BIOM Diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers for inflammatory bowel
- 2011-2015 Tools for the Detection of Novel Glyco-biomarkers (GlycoBioM)
- 2013-2014 Forensic Estimation of Human Age by Glycan Analysis of Bloodstains
- 2011-2012 Development of molecular diagnostics methods
- 2010-2012 Application of DNA analysis in development of traceability system in meat processing production
- 2007-2010 Development of the system for DNA analysis of archaeological bone samples
- 2006-2007 Molecular Characteristics of Myofibroblasts in Dupuytren’s Disease
- 2005-2006 Influence of gene / protein transduction on signal pathways of transformed cells
- 2005-2008 Technological project “Integrative Genomics Center, Molecular Diagnosis, Cell and Gene Therapy”
- 2003-2004 Study of structure and function of hepatitis C virus and assays for hepatitis in chimeric models
- 2001-2003 Identification of Homeland War Victims, Office for Detained and Missing Persons of the Ministry of Family, Veteran’s Affairs and Intergenerational Solidarity
PARTICIPATION ON BIOTECHNOLOGICAL VALIDATION PROJECTS:
- 2012 International Rapidly-Mutating Y-STR Study Group: Validation of the potential for the Rapidly-Mutating Y-STR set in differentiating unrelated as well as related males. Erasmus MC University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 2009-2010 Beta Study of the HV+ HaploArray (mtDNA Linear Array Assay), Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California, USA
- 2002-2003 Beta Study of the HVI/HVII mtDNA Linear Array Assay, Roche Molecular Systems, Alameda, CA, USA
- 2000-2002 Promega, European – STR working group: Validation of DNA IQ System for DNA isolation, AluQuant Human DNA Quantitation System and Power Plex 16 kit for DNA amplification and their use in process of identification of skeletal remains, Promega Corporation, Madison, VI, USA
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- 2014 in charge of preliminary design of forensic laboratory and analytic laboratory for in vitro diagnostics as well as planning laboratory furniture and equipment to set up laboratory at new location
- 2013 in charge of preliminary design of forensic and analytic laboratory; coordinator of adaptation process and moving the forensic laboratory to another location
- 2008 advisor in setting up of forensic laboratory
- 2007 in charge of preliminary design of forensic and cytogenetic laboratory; coordinator of adaptation process, in charge for ordering laboratory equipment and furniture, in charge for starting up laboratory equipment and organizing work in forensic DNA laboratory
CERTIFICATION AND ACCREDITATION
- 11.2014. certificate of participation in the course „The Skill of Medical Education and Scientific Work“
- 07.2014. certificate of participation in the course General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories (ISO/IEC 17025)
- 04.2014. Quality Manager
- 05.2013. Deputy Quality Manager (in process of introducing ISO 9001)
- 10.2013. Internal Auditor Certificate, in accordance to ISO 19011:2011
- 12.2012. certificate of participation in the SPIDIA-DNA Program 2nd ring trial (standardization and improvement of genetic pre-analytical tools and procedures for in-vitro diagnostics)
- 2014-2018 teaching in “Molecular basis of disease, diagnosis and treatment”, Faculty of Medicine, University of Osijek
- 2015-2018 teaching in “Molecular Genetics and Molecular Mechanisms”, Faculty of Medicine, University of Osijek
- 2012-2021 teaching and practical training in „Introduction in Forensic Biology“ at Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb
- 2011, 2012 teaching in „Basics of Forensic Biology“ and „Forensic Genetics 1“ at University Department of Forensic Science, University of Split
- 2011 practical training in „Pharmacy and Biochemical Sciences“ („Identity and paternity identification by DNA analysis“) at Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Zagreb
- 2009 – 2018 practical training in „Forensic Genetics 2“ at University Department of Forensic Science, University of Split
- 2009 – 2019 practical training in „Research Methods in Molecular Biology“ at Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb
- 2009, 2010 practical training in „Genomes“ at Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb
- 2005, 2007, 2008: practical training in Molecular Biology Methods in Medicine („Molecular Medicine, paternity Testing, Y Chromosome“), Faculty of Medicine, University of Zagreb
- 2005: practical training in „Medical and Laboratory Diagnostics”, Faculty of Medicine, University of Osijek
- 2003: practical training in „Application of DNA Technology in Forensic Pathology“, Faculty of Medicine, University of Split
- 2015: High school project “Prevalence of lactose intolerance in my class population”, Lara Primorac (awarded by ISABS Future Scientist Award)
- 2013: Graduation Thesis “Sensitivity of Different PCR Systems in Forensic DNA Analysis”, Nikolina Zoko
- 2012: Graduation Thesis „Analysis of Touch DNA“, candidate: Ivan Car
- 2014: High school project (for National Biology Competition) “Paleodemographic approach to Ivandol-Njive locality problem“, Antun Tonko Jakobović
- 2012: Graduation Thesis “Determination of genetic predisposition of lactose intolerance in Croatian population by pyrosequencing method”, Marija Glasovac
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE COURSE MENTORING:
- 2015 Serkan Doğan: “GenePerform Test and Determinaton of Genetic Predisposition of Blood Blood Clotting Disorder and Lactose Intolerance; education within international collaboration with International Burch University, Genetics and Bioengineering, Sarajevo; Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 2013 Felix Jähne: “SNP Analysis by Pyrosequencing”, The International Association for Exchange of Students for Technical Experience- IAESTE
- 2013 Nikolina Zoko: “DNA processing from referent samples”, professional practice as part of a study at the University Forensic Science Center of Split
- 2013 Mateja Bačić: “Determination of genetic predisposition for obesity by pyrosequencing of FTO gene“
- 2012 Anita Bašić, Borka Dropulić, Ivan Car, Ivana Nikolić, Marijana Zoko: “Determination of DNA profiles from referent and forensic samples“; professional practice as part of a study at the University Forensic Science Center of Split
- 2019: treasurer of the Croatian Society for Precise (Personalized) Medicine
- 2017: member of the Croatian Medical Association
- 2014: member of the Croatian Society for Human Genetics
- 2014: member of the Croatian Society for Rare Diseases
- 2014: member of the Croatian Society of Biology in Health Care
- 2011: general secretary of the International Society for Applied Biological Sciences (ISABS)
- 2004: member of the International Society for Applied Biological Sciences (ISABS)
- 2000: advanced computer science course, “Niko” Ltd – school for work on personal computers, Split
- 1997-1999: student representative on the university council
- Member of the I.A.E.S.T.E –The International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience
- Genetic predisposition for lactose intolerance (Genetička predispozicija za nepodnošenje laktoze), 33. Hrvatska proljetna pedijatrijska škola, 18.-22. 04. 2016., Split
- Genetic polymorphisms for obesity and sport (Genski polimorfizmi za pretilost i sport), VI. Hrvatski kongres humane genetike , Split 5.-7. studeni 2015.
- How to run a biotech business, FABlab – Forum for Female Entrepreneurship in Biotech at Metropolitan University, Belgrade, September 20.-22.2013
- Our Experience in Non-Invasive Prenatal Paternity Testing, 2nd Central-Eastern European Symposium on Free Nucleic Acids in Non-Invasive Prenatal Diagnosis, Olomouc, Czech Republic, October 25-26, 2012
- Mitochondrial DNA polymorphisms in 312 individuals of Croatian population determined by 105 probe panel targeting 61 hypervariable and coding region sites. (Selected Oral Presentation) 7th ISABS Conference in Forensic, Anthropologic and Medical Genetics, Bol, Island of Brač, Croatia, June 20-24, 2011
- DNA analysis on exhumed corpses. Second Mediterranean Academy of Forensic Sciences Meeting, Monastir, Tunisia, June 22-25, 2005.
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the 11th ISABS Conference on Forensic and Anthropologic Genetics and Mayo Clinic Lectures in Individualized Medicine, Split, Croatia, 17.-22.2019
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the 10th ISABS Conference on Forensic and Anthropologic Genetics and Mayo Clinic Lectures in Individualized Medicine, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 19.-24.2017
- Hrvatska proljetna pedijatrijska škola, 18.-22. 04. 2016., Split
- Hrvatski simpozij biologa u zdravstvu, 28.11.2015, Zagreb
- Hrvatski kongres humane genetike, s međunarodnim sudjelovanjem 5.-7.11.2015., Split
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the GLYCO23 -23rd International symposium on glycoconjugates, Split, Croatia, September 15-20, 2015
- Coordinator of the Organizing Committee of the 9th ISABS Conference on Forensic, Anthropologic and Medical Genetics, Island of Brač, Republic of Croatia, June 22-26, 2015, Bol,
- 14th European Forensic DNA Working Group Meeting, March 19-21, 2013, Lisbon, Portugal
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the 8th ISABS Conference on Forensic, Anthropologic and Medical Genetics and Mayo Clinic Lectures in Translational Medicine, Split, Croatia, June 24-28, 2013
- 2nd Central-Eastern European Symposium on Free Nucleic Acids in Non-Invasive Prenatal Diagnosis, Olomouc, Czech Republic, October 25-26, 2012
- Coordinator of the Organizing Committee of the 7th ISABS Conference in Forensic, Anthropologic and Medical Genetics, Bol, Island of Brač, Croatia, June 20-24, 2011.
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences, Chicago, IL, USA, Feb 21-26, 2011.
- 20th International Symposium on Human Identification, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 12-15, 2009.
- Coordinator of the Organizing Committee of the 6th ISABS on Human Genome Project Based Applications in Forensic Science, Anthropology and Individualized Medicine, Split, Croatia, June 1-5, 2009.
- European Conference of Human Genetics 2008, Barcelona, Spain 31. 05. – 03. 06. 2008.
- Coordinator of the Organizing Committee of the 5th ISABS Conference in Forensic Genetics and Molecular Anthroplogy, Split, Croatia, September 3-7, 2007.
- European Human Genetics Conferences 2007, Nice, France, 16. – 19. 06. 2007.
- The Second European-American Intensive Course in Clinical and Forensic genetics, Dubrovnik, Croatia, September 3-14, 2001
- Second Mediterranean Academy of Forensic Sciences Meeting, Monastir, Tunisia, June 22-25, 2005.
- Coordinator of the Organizing Committee of the Fourth European-American School in Forensic Genetics and Mayo Clinic Course in Advanced Molecular and Cellular Medicine, Dubrovnik, Croatia, September 5-9, 2005.
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the First Congress of Croatian Scientists from the Homeland and Abroad, Zagreb –Vukovar, 15 -19. 11. 2004.
- 54th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases; Boston, USA, October 24-28. 2003
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the Third European-American School in Forensic Genetics and Mayo Clinic Course in Advanced Molecular and Cellular Medicine, Zagreb, Croatia, September 1-5, 2003.
- Lecturer at the symposium Dani humane genetike prof.dr.sc.Ljiljana Zergollern-Čupak, Zagreb, 08.12.2018.
- Editorial member of „Final program and abstracts“, biennial international ISABS conferences, (International Society for Applied Biological Sciences), 2005-2017.
- Editorial member of „Glycoconjugate journal, Abstracts of GLYCO 23“. 2015 July;32(5):173-342. (Springer), GLYCO -23rd International symposium on glycoconjugates, Split, Croatia, September 15-20, 2015
- Ministarstvo znanosti, obrazovanja i športa RH, Zagreb / Pavo Barišić (ur.). Zagreb : Ministarstvo znanosti, obrazovanja i športa RH, 2006.
- Member of the Executive Editorial Board Proceedings „Prvi kongres hrvatskih znanstvenika iz domovine i inozemstva“, Zagreb-Vukovar, 15.-19.studenoga 2004.,
- Croatian Medical Journal, scientific paper in journal, June, No. 3, 2017
- Nature Scientific reports , scientific paper in journal, Mar 24;7(1) 2017
- Paediatrica Croatica, scientific paper in journal, Vol. 59, No 2, 2015
- Croatian Medical Journal, scientific paper in journal, June, No. 3, 2011
List of publications – link