Dr Mirela Sedic (born Bauman) (ORCID iD https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4679-1541; https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mirela_Sedic; https://scholar.google.hr/citations?hl=en&user=AhM7JUEAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate) is senior scientific associate at the Institute for Anthropological Research in Croatia. She has authored over 50 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals including high-impact journals such as BBA Molecular Basis of Disease, Molecular Cancer, The Journal of Pathology, Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Cancer Treatment Reviews and International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 4 book chapters and 3 student handbooks. She has got one international patent (WO/2010/052510). Her work has been cited 1286 times (h-index 17; i10-index 30).
She has served as a reviewer for several international peer-reviewed scientific journals including Current Medicinal Chemistry, Cancer Cell International, Cancer Management and Research, Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research, Journal of Cancer Research & Therapy, OncoTargets and Therapy, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, Cancers, Cells, and Molecules. She is also an Editorial Board Member of Global Journal of Cancer Therapy (since September 2014), American Journal of Pharmacology & Therapeutics (since May 2018), Current Cancer Therapy Reviews (since July 2018), Clinical Cancer Drugs (since November 2018) and BMC Cancer (since February 2020). Dr. Sedic has been appointed by the European Commission to serve as an expert evaluator for FP7, HORIZON 2020 and Horizon Europe EU Framework Programmes since 2012 onwards.
Dr. Sedic was the co-PI of international collaborative project with Functional Genomics Center Zurich in Switzerland (PRIME-XS-0000184 Proteomic profiling of retinal proteins from rat model of age-related macular degeneration from 2012-2014) and the PI of the University of Rijeka research grant No. 188.8.131.52.12 “Screening and biological evaluation of acid ceramidase and sphingosine kinase inhibitors as a new class of anti-tumour agents” (from October 2014 – June 2017). She is currently the PI of the project funded by the Croatian Science Foundation No. 2018-01 3900 “Dissecting the mechanisms of therapy resistance in BRAF-mutant colon cancer using an integrated –omics approach” (2019 – 2023) and the PI of the University of Rijeka research grant No. uniri-biomed-18-76 1209 “Molecular features associated with BRAFV600E-mutated versus wild type BRAF colorectal cancer” (2019-2022). She is also the PI of the project No. 3238 – EPIC-XS 012: “Proteomic analysis of acquired resistance to vemurafenib in BRAF V600E–mutant colon cancer cells” in collaboration with the University in Zurich/ Functional Genomics Center Zurich (6th August 2019-7th August 2022).
Major research interests of Dr. Sedic include colon cancer, liver cancer, pancreatic cancer, cancer biology, cancer cell signalling, experimental cancer therapy, anti-cancer drugs and combination treatment, drug repurposing, anti-cancer drug screening, chemoresistance, persistent cancer cells, sphingolipids in cancer biology and treatment, the cancer secretome, mass spectrometry-based proteomics, mass-spectrometry based lipidomics, bioinformatics.
List of the most relevant publications (* corresponding author):
- Grbčić, P.; Eichmann, T.O.; Pavelić, S.K.; Sedić, M *. The Sphingosine Kinase 2 Inhibitor ABC294640 Restores the Sensitivity of BRAFV600E Mutant Colon Cancer Cells to Vemurafenib by Reducing AKT-Mediated Expression of Nucleophosmin and Translationally-Controlled Tumour Protein. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2021, 22, 10767. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms221910767.
- Petra Grbčić, Dora Fučkar Čupić, Tania Gamberi, Sandra Kraljević Pavelić and Mirela Sedić*. Proteomic Profiling of BRAFV600E Mutant Colon Cancer Cells Reveals the Involvement of Nucleophosmin/c-Myc Axis in Modulating the Response and Resistance to BRAF Inhibition by Vemurafenib. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2021, 22(12), 6174; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms22126174 (registering DOI) – 08 Jun 2021
- Andrea Bistrović Popov, Robert Vianelo, Petra Grbčić, Mirela Sedić, Sandra Kraljević Pavelić, Krešimir Pavelić and Silvana Raić-Malić. Novel bis- and mono-pyrrolo[2,3-d]pyrimidine and purine derivatives: synthesis, computational analysis and antiproliferative evaluation. Molecules, 26 (11), 3334,
- Sadia Rahman, Karlo Wittine, Mirela Sedić and Elitza P. Markova-Car. Small Molecules Targeting Biological Clock; A Novel Prospective for Anti-Cancer Drugs. Molecules 2020, 25(21), 4937; https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25214937
- Petra Grbčić and Mirela Sedić*. Sphingosine 1-Phosphate Signaling and Metabolism in Chemoprevention and Chemoresistance in Colon Cancer. Molecules 2020, 25(10), 2436; https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25102436
- Visentin S, Sedić M, Pavelić SK, Pavelić K. Targeting Tumour Metastasis: The Emerging Role of Nanotechnology. Curr Med Chem. 2020;27(8):1367-1381. doi:10.2174/0929867326666181220095343.
- Grbčić P, Car EPM, Sedić M *. Targeting Ceramide Metabolism in Hepatocellular Carcinoma: New Points for Therapeutic Intervention. Curr Med Chem. 2019 Sep 11. doi: 10.2174/0929867326666190911115722.
- Sedić M*, Grbčić P, Pavelić SK. Bioactive Sphingolipids as Biomarkers Predictive of Disease Severity and Treatment Response in Cancer: Current Status and Translational Challenges. Anticancer Res. 2019 Jan;39(1):41-56. doi: 10.21873/anticanres.13078.
- Klobučar M, Grbčić P, Pavelić SK, Jonjić N, Visentin S, Sedić M*. Acid ceramidase inhibition sensitizes human colon cancer cells to oxaliplatin through downregulation of transglutaminase 2 and β1 integrin/FAK-mediated signalling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018 Sep 5;503(2):843-848. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2018.06.085. Epub 2018 Jun 21.
- Jelovica M, Grbčić P, Mušković M, Sedić M, Pavelić SK, Lončarić M, Malatesti N. In Vitro Photodynamic Activity of N-Methylated and N-Oxidised Tripyridyl Porphyrins with Long Alkyl Chains and Their Inhibitory Activity in Sphingolipid Metabolism. ChemMedChem. 2018 Feb 20;13(4):360-372. doi: 10.1002/cmdc.201700748. Epub 2018 Jan 30.
- Bistrović A, Grbčić P, Harej A, Sedić M*, Kraljević-Pavelić S, Koštrun S, Plavec J, Makuc D, Raić-Malić S*. Small molecule purine and pseudopurine derivatives: synthesis, cytostatic evaluations and investigation of growth inhibitory effect in non-small cell lung cancer A549. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2018 Dec;33(1):271-285. doi: 10.1080/14756366.2017.1414807.
- Bistrović A, Krstulović L, Harej A, Grbčić P, Sedić M*, Koštrun S, Pavelić SK, Bajić M, Raić-Malić S.* Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of novel benzimidazole amidines as potent multi-target inhibitors for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. Eur J Med Chem. 2018 Jan 1;143:1616-1634. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2017.10.061. Epub 2017 Nov 11.
- Bistrović A, Harej A, Grbčić P, Sedić M*, Kraljević Pavelić S, Cetina M, Raić-Malić S.* Synthesis and Anti-Proliferative Effects of Mono- and Bis-Purinomimetics Targeting Kinases. Int J Mol Sci. 2017 Nov 1;18(11). pii: E2292. doi: 10.3390/ijms18112292.
- Grbčić P, Tomljanović I, Klobučar M, Kraljević Pavelić S, Lučin K, Sedić M* Dual sphingosine kinase inhibitor SKI-II enhances sensitivity to 5-fluorouracil in hepatocellular carcinoma cells via suppression of osteopontin and FAK/IGF-1R signalling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017 Jun 10;487(4):782-788. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2017.04.100. Epub 2017 Apr 19.
- Gregorić T, Sedić M*, Grbčić P, Tomljenović Paravić A, Kraljević Pavelić S, Cetina M, Vianello R*, Raić-Malić S* Novel pyrimidine-2,4-dione-1,2,3-triazole and furo[2,3-d]pyrimidine-2-one-1,2,3-triazole hybrids as potential anti-cancer agents: Synthesis, computational and X-ray analysis and biological evaluation. Eur J Med Chem. 2017 Jan 5;125:1247-1267. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2016.11.028.
- Kraljević TG, Harej A, Sedić M, Pavelić SK, Stepanić V, Drenjančević D, Talapko J, Raić-Malić S. Synthesis, in vitro anticancer and antibacterial activities and in silico studies of new 4-substituted 1,2,3-triazole–coumarin hybrids. Eur J Med Chem. 2016 Nov 29;124:794-808. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2016.08.062. Epub 2016 Aug 31.
- Marko Klobučar , Mirela Sedić, Peter Gehrig, Jonas Grossmann, Mario Bilić , Lana Kovač-Bilić , Krešimir Pavelić , Sandra Kraljević Pavelić. Basement membrane protein ladinin-1 and the MIF-CD44-β1 integrin signaling axis are implicated in laryngeal cancer metastasis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) – Molecular Basis of Disease, 2016 1862(10):1938-54. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2016.07.014. Epub 2016 Jul 25;
- Kraljević Pavelić S, Klobučar M, Sedić M, Micek V, Gehrig P, Grossman J, Pavelić K, Vojniković B. UV-induced retinal proteome changes in the rat model of age-related macular degeneration. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) – Molecular Basis of Disease, Volume 1852, Issue 9, September 2015, Pages 1833–1845.
- Sedic M, Gethings LA, Vissers JP, Shockcor JP, McDonald S, Vasieva O, Lemac M, Langridge JI, Batinić D, Pavelić SK. Label-free mass spectrometric profiling of urinary proteins and metabolites from paediatric idiopathic nephrotic syndrome. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014 Sep 12;452(1):21-6.
- Emil Štajduhar, Mirela Sedić, Tanja Leniček, Petra Radulović, Aleksandar Kerenji, Božo Krušlin, Krešimir Pavelić, Sandra Kraljević Pavelić. Expression of growth hormone receptor, plakoglobin and NEDD9 protein in association with tumour progression and metastasis in human breast cancer. Tumor Biology (2014) 35:6425–6434.
- Krešimir Benci, Leo Mandić, Tomislav Suhina, Mirela Sedić, Marko Klobučar, Sandra Kraljević Pavelić, Krešimir Pavelić, Karlo Wittine and Mladen Mintas. Novel Coumarin Derivatives Containing 1,2,4-Triazole, 4,5-Dicyanoimidazole and Purine Moieties: Synthesis and Evaluation of Their Cytostatic Activity. Molecules 2012, 17(9), 11010-11025.
- Sedic M, Kraljevic Pavelic S, Cindric M, Vissers JP, Peronja M, Josic D, Cuk M, Fumic K, Pavelic K, Baric I. Plasma biomarker identification in S-adenosylhomocysteine hydrolase deficiency. Electrophoresis. 2011 Aug;32(15):1970-5.
- Wittine, M. Stipković Babić, M. Košutić, M. Cetina, K. Rissanen, S. Kraljević Pavelić, A. Tomljenović Paravić, M. Sedić, K. Pavelić and M. Mintas, The new 5- or 6-azapyrimidine and cyanuric acid derivatives of L-ascorbic acid bearing the free C-5 hydroxy or C-4 amino group at the ethylenic spacer: CD-spectral absolute configuration determination and biological activity evaluations, Eur J Med Chem. 2011 Jul;46(7):2770-85.
- Kraljevic Pavelic S, Sedic M, Bosnjak H, Spaventi S, Pavelic K. Metastasis: new perspectives on an old problem. Mol Cancer. 2011 Feb 22;10:22.
- Kraljevic Pavelic S, Sedic M, Hock K, Vucinic S, Jurisic D, Gehrig P, Scott M, Schlapbach R, Cacev T, Kapitanovic S, Pavelic K. An integrated proteomics approach for studying the molecular pathogenesis of Dupuytren’s disease. J Pathol. 2009;217(4):524-33.
- Sedic M, Poznic M, Gehrig P, Scott M, Schlapbach R, Hranjec M, Karminski-Zamola G, Pavelic K, Kraljevic Pavelic S. Differential antiproliferative mechanisms of novel derivative of benzimidazo[1,2-alpha]quinoline in colon cancer cells depending on their p53 status. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008;7(7):2121-32.
- Hranjec M, Kralj M, Piantanida I, Sedić M, Suman L, Pavelić K, Karminski-Zamola G. Novel cyano- and amidino-substituted derivatives of styryl-2-benzimidazoles and benzimidazo[1,2-a]quinolines. Synthesis, photochemical synthesis, DNA binding, and antitumor evaluation, part 3. J Med Chem. 2007 15;50(23):5696-711.
- Kraljevic S, Sedic M, Scott M, Gehrig P, Schlapbach R, Pavelic K. Casting light on molecular events underlying anti-cancer drug treatment: what can be seen from the proteomics point of view? Cancer Treat Rev. 2006;32(8):619-29.
- Ribar S, Mesarić M, Bauman M. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of sphinganine and sphingosine in serum and urine of subjects from an endemic nephropathy area in Croatia. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl. 2001 25;754(2):511-9.